View All News Releases

THE DIRT: Prichard Creek Restoration

Written by guest author: Cathy Gidley, North Idaho Program Manager for Trout Unlimited

In 1879, AJ Prichard discovered gold in Prichard Creek, setting off the mining rush in the Coeur d’Alene basin. Prichard Creek is a tributary to the North Fork Coeur d’Alene River and was the site of several hard rock mines and mill sites in the 1900s. Placer and lode mining dominated the early mining efforts until a large dredge was brought in from Alaska by the Yukon Gold Company in 1917, operating until 1926.   The massive dredge was 106 feet long, 44 feet wide, and 6 stories tall. It worked 24 hours a day, manned by a crew of 12. Reports indicate that it dug down in excess of 20 feet into the river bed. The dredge turned over about five miles of the creek and floodplain, leaving behind a barren landscape of tailings. The disturbance altered the stream channel, causing water to flow subsurface and impairing the habitat and river function throughout the entire length of Prichard Creek to the confluence. Today, an approximately 3 mile section of the creek near the town of Murray loses water for a portion of every year. Westslope cutthroat trout and other native fish species persist in Prichard Creek, but lack the connection to the headwaters upstream.

The Idaho Forest Group, who owns 10.5 miles adjacent to the stream channel, became interested in restoring the degraded stream and entered into a partnership with Trout Unlimited, with funding and support from the Restoration Partnership, sponsored by Idaho Department Environmental Quality. Though the partnership between a timber company and conservation group was unusual, it has proved to be extremely successful. After years of planning, work was completed in 2023 to improve habitat and river function in the lower 4 miles of the creek. A total of 62 log structures with various objectives were constructed, and over 5,000 willow stakes and 3,000 riparian and upland plants were planted. After 2 years the structures are showing success in creating pools, dividing flow to move water into side channels, trapping sediments, and creating islands of vegetation. The new structures have attracted the attention of beavers and they have moved back into the main channel in some areas, having been largely absent- the valley bottom was likely historically inundated and teeming with life. The IFG property was placed into a conservation easement with the Kaniksu Land Trust, ensuring that the improvements are sustained into the future.

Building on the success of the initial project, a design process is currently underway to work on the next phase which will address the dredged area and dewatered section of the creek downstream of Murray. It will likely be several years before the project is implemented. Project partners will host meetings to keep the public informed regarding the next phase. AJ Prichard is buried in the cemetery near Murray, his legacy evident throughout the valley. Through partnerships, our hope is to honor that legacy and restore the rich environment that attracted Prichard and countless others to this region.

For additional information on projects: northidahotu.org Cathy Gidley, North Idaho Program Manager cathy.gidley@tu.org

The Dirt is a series of informative articles focused on all aspects of cleanup efforts associated with the Bunker Hill Superfund Site. Our goal is to promote community awareness of contamination issues, to provide tools for protecting public health, and to keep the community informed of current and future cleanup projects. The Dirt is a group of committed and local experts from multiple agencies including the Basin Environmental Improvement Project Commission, Panhandle Health District, Shoshone County, Silver Valley Economic Development Corporation, and the Idaho Department of Environmental Quality.